Orange Almond Cake
When I think of orange and almond cake my mind instantly takes me to a place of complete relaxation. I imagine I’m drinking a cup of herbal tea in a beautiful fine china mug, sitting by a window somewhere overlooking the mountains. As I take a mouthful of moist orange cake and sip on my tea I take a deep breath and feel at complete ease.
It’s amazing how food can totally transport you and bring you complete joy.
I hope this recipe creates a joyful experience for you too.
As an added bonus this one is gluten-free and refined sugar free too. So, enjoy it completely guilt-free.
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (can substitute for wheat plain flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal (substitute for 2 eggs)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup maple
- Grated rind from one orange
- 4 drops of orange essential oils (food-grade and optional)
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- In one bowl place the flour, almond meal, baking powder and bicarb soda an mix well.
- In another bowl mix together the coconut sugar, orange juice, milk, vanilla, flax meal, olive oil, maple syrup, and essential oils. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold in with a spatula until you form a smooth cake mixture.
- Place into a 20cm round spring form tin (well oiled).
- Top with fresh berries and almonds and sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes at 180 degrees. Test cake by poking a skewer or toothpick. If it comes out dry, then the cake is ready.