Hidden Vegetable Pasta Sauce
Ievery kitchen there are some basic recipes we can whip out in a few minutes. You know those nights when you’re just so exhausted, you can’t be bothered whipping up a storm?
Well this basic tomato sauce is a one pot dinner that can be ready in 20 minutes.
It’s one I always make in a large batches and freeze in individual glass jars. If I have a crazy day I simply pull it out of the freezer in the morning, and all I need to do when I get home is boil the pasta. Dinner is ready in 10 minutes.
I’ve made some variations to the traditional napoli sauce my mum taught me when I was a kid. I pack some extra vegetables to create a nourishing sauce and it makes it much creamier. I hope you love it as much as my family does.
- A bottle of tomato passata or 2 cans of fresh tomato
- 1 white onion
- 1 large carrot
- 2 zucchini
- Handful of basil leaves
- Teaspoon salt
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- Dice the onion in small pieces. In a medium saucepan saute onion with two tablespoons of olive oil. Cook until the onion start to brown.
- Slice carrots and zucchini into small pieces and toss into the saucepan and allow to brown and soften – about four minutes should be enough.
- Add the bottle of passata and a handful of fresh basil leaves.
- Add salt.
- Cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. I’m a huge fan of tasting as I go and encourage you to do the same. At the 20 minute mark taste for salt and make sure the tomato has a rich flavour.
- Once cooked blend thoroughly until you have created a smooth creamy sauce.
- Mix with your favourite pasta and top with your favourite Parmesan – dairy or vegan.