Chocolate Fudgy Almond Cake
- 1 ¼ cups almond meal
- 1 ½ cups gluten free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/3 cup raw cacao
- 1 cup soy milk or plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup coconut yoghurt
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal and 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 large avocado or 2 smaller avocados
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/3 cup cacao
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (add more sweetener to your liking)
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl – flour, almond meal, cacao, baking powder in bicarb soda in a bowl and mix well.
- Make the flax egg by mixing the flax meal and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Wisk apple cider vinegar and milk in a bowl until it foams slightly.
- Add to the vinegar and milk, the flax egg along with the sugar, maple syrup, olive oil, yoghurt and vanilla. Mix.
- Combine all ingredients together. It’s best to add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix in slowly.
- Grease a round 20cm cake tin and pour mixture into the tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 40 – 45 minutes. Test by poking a skewer in. If it comes out dry the cake is cooked.
- Please note, this cake is an extremely moist cake and once cooked and cut will be quite moist and almost a bit wet and fudgy inside.
- Peel and pit avocado and place in blender along with rest of ingredients.
- Blend until you get a smooth, thick frosting.
- Taste to ensure it is to your liking. This frosting is not overly sweet, however add more maple syrup to create a sweeter version.
- Once cake is cooled generously cover the cake in this divine frosting.