My kids love pasta, so combining it with broccoli is a winning combination. Raising vegetarian kids means I’m always looking at ways to add more vegetables to their meals. Even though they are thriving as vegetarians, their vegetable repertoire isn’t vast yet. I think it’s just a kid thing right!
Broccoli is one vegetable they’d eat every day so at every opportunity I slip this magnificent green tree into their meals. This dish can be put together in 15 minutes and requires four ingredients. That’s it!
- Half head of broccoli
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Teaspoon salt
- Chop up broccoli and boil or steam until soft.
- Once cooked strain and put aside half a cup of the water you boiled the broccoli in as you may need this.
- Saute the chopped garlic in a fry pan with olive oil.
- Once starting to brown add the cooked broccoli and half of the water you set aside. With a fork or potato masher, mash the broccoli until soft.
- Add a pinch or two of salt and let the broccoli simmer at medium to low heat for 10 minutes. The sauce doesn’t need to cook for long as the broccoli is already cooked. Cook long enough to infuse the garlic and olive oil flavours through the broccoli.
- Add more water or olive oil if the broccoli sauce is too thick.
- Always taste as you cook so you can add more salt if needed. I like to add some extra olive oil to this sauce at the end once cooked.
- Boil the rigatoni, strain and then toss through the broccoli sauce.
- Serve with your choice of Parmesan. I use nutritional yeast as my vegan alternative.